Thursday, July 28, 2011

Salmon - Our Version of Healthy Eating


Every fall at my husband’s job they do a health screening. I guess the rationale is that if you can keep your employees informed on their general health status, then they will work to live healthier lives and it is likely that insurances charges will be lower therefore saving the company money as well as less time lost to sick days … Yes that explanation did get somewhat long.  This year they are offering a money incentive to change your numbers from fall 2011 through fall 2012. These numbers include BMI, blood pressure, and cholesterol etc. Nothing encourages healthy eating like a financial incentive.


So here is an example of one of our healthy meals. Granted this may not be approved by a nutritionist, but we still gotta be able to enjoy it.

Menu:
Baked Salmon
Jasmine Rice
Green Beans with Almonds
Salt & Pepper Tomatoes



I had done another day of canning and today I happened to be starving by the time the meal rolled around. I arranged my food on my plate, hiding where I had already sampled some salmon, and then forgot about taking the photo until I was already three quarters of the way finished. Whoops. Fortunately I had already taken individual photos.


I didn’t actually use any recipes for this meal. I just toasted the almond slivers in a sautĂ© pan, cooked the green beans in boiling water for 3 minutes (we like them with some crunch), followed the instructions on the rice bag, scrambled two eggs and stirred that into the rice topped by some lemon juice and salt and pepper, and the salt and pepper tomatoes are pretty self-explanatory. As for the salmon- it was fantastic! We do love salmon and it is really, really healthy for you. If you are trying for a healthier eating style make fish at least two times a week. It is worth the additional cost in your grocery bill. We buy ours portion sized, which also makes them easier to bake because they are more uniform. I used a McCormick marinating packet – love these things!! – I believe it was Lime Chipolte this time around. They are a fast buy at the grocery store and then store them in your pantry for a spontaneous need. You mix some water, vinegar, oil and the packet together and pour over the salmon. They say to marinate for 15 minutes. Mine happened to marinate for 24 hours because we didn’t end up making supper when I originally intended to use it. The longer you can marinate the better. Do it first thing in the morning and when supper rolls around you’ll be grateful you did.  I bake my salmon at 350 for 10 minutes and then increase to 375 for the last 10 minutes. This made sure it was done because I can't stand undercooked seafood.


Embrace the healthy lifestyle. Give seafood, especially salmon, a try. If you're someone who doesn't like the "fishy" flavor of fish- then by all means by this marinade packet and let it soak for 12-24 hours and you won't have any hint of "fishyness". I promise  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment