Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Peach Smoothies & Malted Milk Chocolate Cookies -- Yes, Please!


I have been obsessed with canning these past two weeks. (A post to come about that later on). Needless to say canning is hot, sweaty, and unrelenting work. You also frequently get burned. So at the end of the day yesterday I was not interested in food whatsoever, but I did have an urge for a fresh, cold smoothie. I had peaches on hand and this is what resulted from my food urge.


Peach Yogurt SmoothieFrom Food.com

4 Peaches, peeled, pitted, and quartered
2/3 cup Vanilla Yogurt
½ cup Milk
1 ½ Tbsp Brown Sugar
Dash of Ground Nutmeg
6 – 10 Ice Cubes

1.  Blend first five ingredients in blend until fully processed
2.  Add Ice Cubes a few at a time to achieve desired thickness
3.  Pour into glass and enjoy. Extra can be refrigerated for a day or two. 


I never did get into the mood to make supper, so we just got some take out once the little one was in bed. I did, however, pause our movie to make a quick dessert. 


Another homemade ice cream sandwich - but this recipe just uses malted milk chocolate chip cookies as the sides to the ice cream. A lot easier to make on the spur of the moment than the previously posted banana split ice cream sandwiches. I had made the cookies the day before and just put them to this use for a little movie night snack. 

Malted Milk Chocolate Chip CookiesFrom Tasty Kitchen.com

2 stick Butter, at room temperature
¾ cup Brown Sugar
¾ cup White Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
½ cup Malted Milk Powder
2 cups Flour
1 ¼ Baking Soda
1 ¼ Salt
Milk Chocolate Chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cream Butter, then add the Sugars and cream again until fluffy
3. Add Eggs, beat slightly, add Vanilla Extract and beat until combined
4. Add Malted Milk Powder and beat until combined
5. Combine Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt. Combine with Butter mixture
6. Stir in Chocolate Chips
7. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes. 

** I adjusted the cooking temperature and time of this recipe because mine initially came out way too crispy and almost burnt. So I do 350 degrees for 7 minutes – but I split the seven minutes with 3 minutes being cooked on the bottom rack of the oven and then the remaining 4 minutes being cooked on the higher rack. When you take them out they may still look a little pale, but they finish cooking and browning while still on the tray out of the oven.
** I feel it is hard to call these cookies. They are exceedingly thin, practically wafer-like, and they are really chewy if not over-cooked. They work splendidly as the shells for homemade ice cream sandwiches.
** I ended up ordering the Malt Powder online. On Amazon.com I saw that it looks like it could be found in the creamer section of a larger grocery store, but I hadn’t checked there. So it is possible that it could be found in your local store. 


---------------------------------------------
I doubt whether the world holds for anyone a more soul-stirring surprise 
than the first adventure with ice cream.  
~Heywood Broun
---------------------------------------

1 comment:

  1. Uhm can I please have both of those things right now? haha they both look so refreshing in this crazy heat!!

    ReplyDelete