Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Big Chocolate Bake Off!

I haven't gotten to upload my photos from last night yet, but I promise a really tasty entree and dessert coming your way very soon! Instead, I'm going to share a recipe from a few weeks ago. Hopefully you can find a special occasion to use it this weekend - or maybe even today!



My sister in law and I had a big chocolate cake bake off a few weeks ago. We both crammed into my tiny kitchen and made different chocolate cake recipes and then split the results so we could benefit from our mutual hard work. I've been known for the fact that I don't like chocolate as much as the stereotypical average woman. Lately though my willingness has increased towards it - but I still picked a conservative traditional chocolate sheet cake recipe. My sister in law loves chocolate, no denial. She picked a triple chocolate recipe. I guess most of you are probably with her on this one. Even my husband was. : )

Chocolate Sheet Cake - A Family Recipe
2 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
Pinch of Salt
2 sticks Butter
4 Tbsp Cocoa
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 Eggs - beat slightly
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Soda

Frosting:
1 stick Butter
4 Tbsp Cocoa
1/3 cup Milk
1 lb Powdered Sugar
1 cup Nuts, crushed, optional
1 tsp Vanilla

**Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Mix Flour, Sugar, Salt in a bowl
2. Combine Butter, Cocoa, and Water and bring to a boil on the stove (make sure you keep an eye on it)
3. Mix Buttermilk, Eggs, Vanilla and Baking Soda in another bowl. Beat with mixer.
4. Mix all ingredients and pour into a jelly roll baking sheet - any larger size baking sheet will work just be sure to have adequate edges so that it doesn't spill over.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
6. While it is baking, make the icing so that you can ice it immediately after it comes out of the oven.
7. Bring Butter, Cocoa, and Milk to a boil while stirring frequently.
8. Remove from heat and stir in the Powdered Sugar, Nuts, and Vanilla.
9. Ice immediately once out of the oven and Enjoy!


"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake - the cake made by my s-i-l
2 cups Sugar
1 3/4 cups Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 Eggs
1 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Water, boiling

Frosting:
1/2 cup Butter
2/3 cup Cocoa
3 cups Powdered Sugar
1/3 cup Milk
1 tsp Vanilla

**Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Stir Sugar, Flour, Cocoa, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt in a mixing bowl
2. Add Eggs, Milk, Vegetable Oil, and Vanilla, beat on a medium speed for 2 minutes
3. Stir in the boiling Water - expect the batter to be thin
4. Pour into large baking sheet with adequate sides to prevent spilling
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
6. To make icing: Melt Butter
7. Stir in Cocoa
8. Alternately add in Powdered Sugar and Milk mixing between additions
9. Stir in Vanilla
10. If you want a smooth consistency add in a bit more milk.
11. Ice once the cake as cooled.
12. Fulfill chocolate craving by eating.

*** Sorry I don't have photos of the second cake. My husband consumed it so fast I didn't get a chance to snap one - he was embarrassed he didn't pick his wife's cake as his favorite, but not so embarrassed as to not chow through it pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment